Dr. Siriwatchana Kaeophanuek, a lecturer of Digital Information Management Program, School of Informatics has launched a trial online teaching using Zoom application–an easy-to-use application for online teaching. The application is suitable for online communication, meetings or even teachings.
The advantages and disadvantages of the Zoom application for online learning are as follows:
Advantages: the Zoom is/provides you to;
- Easy to use, simply register through a Google or FB account
- An interactive two-way communication, provides video conferencing software, and audio files for distance learning, create group and private chat messages
- Share the screen or presentation slides and demonstrate the use of various programs through the teacher’s screen
- Share assignments from ones’ own screen such as presentation files to teachers and friends to see at a time, write messages or leave comments on the screen right away
- Record teaching videos to be reviewed later
- Free use but limited to 100 students
- Less than 40 minutes per lesson, but can create a new course
Guidelines for designing online teaching
Step 1: Explore the readiness of learners e.g. learners’ computer equipment, environment, readiness to learn and their interest, make sure that everyone is ready and willing to study
Step 2: Design the activity using PowerPoint as the main medium of instruction and use Q&A during the instruction via Zoom program. Students are able to communicate with a teacher in real-time.
Step 3: Carry out activities during the study. A teacher can make the group smaller by dividing the learners into 2 groups so that everyone can do activities together.
Step 4: Use quizzes as a formative assessment to examine students’ understanding. In overall, most learners get good study result by learning through this kind of online teaching application.